An email that refuses to go because of an attachment that is too large is annoying. For individuals, this is only a small concern. But for companies, this pitfall can have major consequences on activity, productivity, and ultimately turnover. Indeed, when your organization continuously handles and shares heavy documents, the transfer of large files is a problem that your employees have to deal with on a daily basis. To remedy this, there are professional solutions for transmitting documents of all sizes with maximum security. Here’s why you (have to) need it.
The double problem of large files
When we talk about a digitized workstation, we don’t just mean a banal Internet connection or a calendar application to replace loose sheets. The digital workplace does not stop at the employee’s desk: it also extends to communication, collaborative work, etc. And the sharing of documents with colleagues, customers, and partners – is a major consequence of the digitization of exchanges and processes professions.
If it is simply a matter of sending emails and a few PDFs, the question of the weight of the documents does not arise. But as soon as larger files have to be sent, the pitfalls multiply. Mailboxes only allow limited volumes, between 5 and 10 MB, up to 25 MB for the most generous of them. FTP transfer requires the installation of specific software. Free large file transfer solutions are limited in size or number of monthly uploads per user. As for cloud storage tools, if they offer larger volumes in their paid versions, they work via the creation of a personal account – a real constraint for the person receiving the sharing.
The problem of send 30gb file free also arises in terms of security. Messengers and free solutions offer little (or no) protection. Clicking on a link to download a file opens the door to all kinds of viruses and cyber intrusions. With regard to online storage spaces, in addition to the absence of data encryption, it should be noted that the servers that host the data are installed in countries (such as the United States) where respect for the confidentiality of information is not as strictly enforced as in Europe.
Suffice to say that these large file transfer solutions are not suitable either in terms of weight or in terms of security requirements. Two pitfalls that should push you to consider the idea of a professional solution, designed expressly to meet the needs of businesses.
A professional solution for transferring large files, what for?
When it comes to transferring large files, as in many other cases, it is in your best interest to look for relevant solutions, designed for organizations and molded to their needs. In this case, a professional solution has the following advantages:
- The transmission of all types of files by email, without their size (in MB or GB) being a problem, without limits imposed by a period of time or by the user, and without the need to train employees.
- Ease of handling via an intuitive interface, because not everyone can be a computer expert (a reflection that applies to the recipient as well as to the sender).
- The transfer of large files in a simple and fast way, by creating download links. The recipient receives an email inviting him to click to download the document, which is hosted on online storage space.
- The versatility of the solution is adapted to a wide variety of machines and operating systems (Windows, Linux, macOS, etc.).
- Storage of files on a secure cloud space which also serves as a collaborative platform, allowing files to be deposited, consulted, modified, annotated, and shared.
- Secure storage and sharing. This is one of the main advantages of a professional solution for transferring large files: file protection concerns both sending (data encryption system, integrated antivirus that scans added documents), storage (on secure servers), access (management of user rights, authentication procedure, etc.) and monitoring of actions (traceability options for connections and transmissions offered to the file owner).
- Data confidentiality. Provided you choose a large file transfer solution that hosts the data of its customers, the confidentiality of these is fully respected. European legislation offers maximum protection for information stored in the Cloud, guaranteeing companies the absence of prying eyes. This is not the case for servers installed in countries outside the European Union.
- Shipment control. It is possible to configure many parameters so as to keep an eye on the sendings: the ceiling of authorized downloads, access period limited in time, read-only sharing without the possibility of downloading the document, etc. Alerts also allow you to be notified when the recipient receives the document and when he has read it, which simplifies follow-up and follow-up operations.
- Easy integration into the IS. A professional solution is planned to blend into an existing system, in particular by integrating into the workstation through a messaging plugin that allows large files to be sent from a traditional mailbox (like Outlook) or via thick clients. in a few clicks. This, is in complete transparency for the user.
As we can see, a professional solution for transferring large files is particularly suitable for companies that handle and exchange large files on a daily basis. It remains to know which tool to go to.